Graduation and Grading
Cambrian Academy expects our students to succeed: we help them at every step not only to graduate, but to graduate honorably with high grades. Our grading policies and standards exceed those required for public school graduation, and they exceed the University of California/CSU A to G requirements for entrance from California high schools. Parents and students must understand and agree to this upon enrollment.
Juniors and seniors have freedom to choose elective courses that help them develop specialized interests. Students who have completed general requirements must take at least five classes per term.
Students who wish to graduate with HONORS will have completed classes in both visual and performing arts in addition to the A to G Plus 2 program. Alternatively, a student can gain HONORS status by completing multiple "G" courses related to their intended college discipline.
We believe that private schools must set standards superior to those of their neighbors if they are to make any difference. We expect all students gifted in an area to take AP classes in that area as our high school is reputed as an AP-based school differentiated to accommodate students with varying abilities but geared to teaching on the college level.
We expect students to work toward and apply to top 4-year universities. Parents and students must understand and agree to this as well.
Cambrian Academy classes also strive to awaken the intellect and social conscience. Independent thought, integrity, self-worth, respect for others and concern for our social and physical environment are the values Cambrian Academy encourages and includes in all courses from Drama to AP Calculus.
High School Graduation Requirements (A to G Plus 2)
- (A) History/Social Science: THREE years required, including one year of world history, cultures, and geography and one year of U.S. history AND one year of civics/economics. Students taking one year of U.S. history and one year of AP U.S. History have satisfied the U.S. history, civics, economics requirement. **
- (B) English: Four years of college preparatory English that include frequent and regular writing, and reading of classic and modern literature.
- (C) Mathematics: Three years of college preparatory mathematics that include the topics covered in elementary and advanced algebra and two- and three-dimensional geometry. Algebra 2 is the minimum expected proficiency level. Precalculus and AP Calculus are recommended for future science or math majors.
- (D) Laboratory Science: THREE years of laboratory science providing fundamental knowledge in at least two of these three disciplines: biology, chemistry, and physics. The third year may include either the third discipline or an elective science class such as forensic science, astronomy, computers, etc. **
- (E) Language Other Than English: Two years of the same language other than English. International students who start our program late may satisfy this requirement by passing the SAT 2 for a foreign language. (Be advised, there is no SAT 2 available for Vietnamese.)
- (F) Visual & Performing Arts: One year, including dance, drama/theater, music, or visual art.
- (G) College Preparatory Elective: In addition to those courses required in "a-f" above, one year (two semesters) of college preparatory electives are required, chosen from advanced visual and performing arts, history, social science, English, advanced mathematics, laboratory science, and language other than English. Cambrian Academy expects its graduating students to exceed the basic A to G standards in the following areas:
** Students must take three years of history instead of two.
** Students must take three years of science instead of two.