SUMMER SCHOOL 2020 - TWO SESSIONS - June 15 to July 9 AND July 13 to August 6
YES, our summer sessions ARE happening. We have always had fewer than 12 per class, so we are ready.
SESSION ONE: 5 spots left in Morning English.
SESSION TWO: 4 spots left in Morning Math, 6 spots left in Morning English.
ENGLISH - MATH - MUSIC - ENGINEERING
REGISTRATION PACKET FOR LOCAL STUDENTS (Available Now)
We are offering some of our four-week summer programs for only $200 as our way to introduce Cambrian Academy to our new neighbors. That's only $50 per week for afternoons of MATH, ENGLISH, or MUSIC.
4 Classes per Week • Monday-Thursday • 1:00pm to 2:30pm
|ENGLISH - Yes, Grammar Matters|
|Students will be introduced to the forgotten art of sentence diagramming.
Instead of identifying parts of speech as independent floating abstractions, students learn to focus on the function of the words and their roles in the actual meaning of the sentence. Clarity and precision of writing will improve dramatically.
Later on, we all have a good laugh at the humorous result of poor syntax--when the entire meaning is changed if the words are not in the correct order.
Invaluable for future writers, programmers, lawyers, entrepreneurs, etc.
|MATH - Algebra and Geometry Foundations|
|For this review class, both topics have been divided into 10 major key concepts.
Students can select from those that may have seemed difficult in the preceding year and be better prepared for the next level. Students may also get a look ahead at the math they will be starting in the fall.
|MUSIC - Guitar Lessons (Rock and Popular)|
|New guitar players are often frustrated with the amount of time and practice required before they are playing the songs they enjoy.
These lessons will allow guitar players to enjoy the instrument right away. Most Rock and Blues songs consist of only three chords requiring only two fingers, and most Popular songs use the same four chords over and over.
Students should already have their own guitar, but they will have the opportunity to play on our high-end equipment, including a full Marshall stack.
MORNING CLASSES - GREATER DEPTH
4 Classes per Week • Monday-Thursday • 9:00am to Noon
|ENGLISH - 4 Sessions per Week|
Students will hone their English grammar and composition skills using a combination of the Warriner's series and our own proprietary materials. We cover the essay styles essential to future success. FOCUS: Reading & Composition
...but mostly COMPOSITIONWriting, writing, and then writing some more.
IT PAYS OFF!
|ENGINEERING - Music Production|
|Experience our 16-Track Recording Studio
Musicians and non-musicians alike will have fun learning how to record, modify, and mix tracks to create a studio-quality finished product. This class will make music and record music. Specific projects will vary with the existing skills of each group, but all students will learn about how processing and recording equipment works.
Stage band and recording studio veterans will teach you how to plan and create a professional quality, multi-track recording.
MATH FOR CREDIT
- Four to six weeks before the start of the in-class session, you will receive access to an online program. When you log in for the first time, you will be given a short tutorial on how to enter your answers into the program, and you will be given an initial assessment.
This assessment will eliminate from the program those concepts you have already mastered. Next you will be shown a pie chart of all the concepts you will need to learn to complete the class. This program allows you to pick and choose concepts that the system thinks you are ready to learn. Simple tutorials are available for each concept, and this will help you quickly cut down the list of concepts to those still requiring teacher help.
- You will then work with a teacher at our San Jose campus four days per week for four weeks. When you complete the program, you will be issued a letter grade based on your percentage completion and a transcript with transferrable credit.
Cambrian Academy is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and these courses are UC approved, so they will transfer as full credit.
Integrated Mathematics II focuses on quadratic functions, probability, advanced geometry, and introductory trigonometry.
Integrated Mathematics III focuses on extending algebra and functions (including radicals, rational expressions, polynomial functions, logarithmic functions, sequences and series), trigonometry, and probability.
Highlights of summer classes for international students:
- Math : Summer math will focus on developing the student's abstract math skills by reviewing the basic mathematical relationships and moving into algebraic applications. International students will begin learning the academic English necessary to succeed. Pre-algebra, Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2
- Music Production, Band, Tennis: Music and Sports are a great way to round out the day. Students can join the stage band if they already play an instrument or sing. Our 16-Track recording studio is open to students who want to learn more about music production and sound engineering. Eagle-Fustar Tennis provides on-site lessons for students who are developing a strong tennis game.
- ESL - 4 mornings a week: Our intensive ESL program was specially designed for students from our foreign sister schools. Our Oxford ESL workbooks relate the student's native language to the English lesson of the day, allowing students to hone their skills more quickly. Students will also practice English phonics and accent reduction.
The four-week session will end with the students preparing a video speech to send home to their families.
International students will have the opportunity to attend classes and activities with Cambrian Academy's local students and gain friendships that will later span the globe.
- English Prep for Mainstream Classes: This class provides some of the academic vocabulary to help students make the transition to the mainstream, including important vocabulary for science and math.
9:00am to 2:30pm
Want to learn More/Enroll?
Summer international students include those of our own regular school year students here on I-20 visas, and also students who may be here with parents when enrollment is incidental to their approved presence. We do not issue I-20 visas for summer programs or single semesters.